"Back to the Basics" Lower Body Workout
This workout is a back to the basics workout that will build muscle in your lower body and tone your legs. There is no need for extra cardio to help you burn calories, after you warm up, the super sets (doing two exercises in a row, back to back) will keep your heart pumping. The key is to choose weights that are challenging and to keep breaks as short as possible.
The rep scheme is designed to go up in weight on the last set if possible. When you find the right weights, your booty should be reminded of the workout the next day when you try to climb stairs! This is not a workout for beginners to start with since exercises like weighted squats, good mornings and Romanian deadlifts should not be performed unless you are familiar with correct form.
Challenge yourself with the weights you use! That's what will build a better lower half!
- Each set of supersets should be done back to back, with rest as needed after the second exercise.
- The reps are designed to allow you to go up in weight the last rep. If you are unable to add weight, do the keep the reps the same (12 0r 15 depending on exercise).
- As always - If you are unsure of an exercise, click the on the link to see a video explanation of how to execute the exercise.
- Barbell with weights
- Med Ball, Bosu Ball, Box or Bench
Warm-Up - 30 seconds each exercise
boxer shuffle, butt kicks, jumping jacks, skaters, good mornings, squat kicks, lunges, side lunges (click here for video of warm up exercises)
- Barbell Back Squat - 12, 12, 10
- One Legged Glute Raise (Foot on med ball, boss or bench) - 15, 15, 15
- Barbell Glute Raise with back on bench or bosu (can be done with bands) - 15, 15, 15
- Bulgarian Split Squat - 12, 12, 10