Slow Cooker Jambalaya
There are many afternoons when we are going 100 different directions and I do not have time to cook a meal. This is a fantastic slow cooker recipe that is a great balance of carbs and protein all in one pot! The best part about it....everyone in my gang will eat it! ENJOY!
- 1 pound chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces (can use left over grilled chicken breast for added ease)
- 1 pound chicken sausage cut into 1/2" thick slices (the spicier the sausage the better)
- 1 pound frozen cooked shrimp (we like the larger shrimp size)
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 4 cups brown rice
Combine all ingredients by the shrimp and rice in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until chicken is cooked through-about 3 hours.
Stir in shrimp making sure they are mixed into the other ingredients and covered with liquids. Continue cooking for another 30 minutes or so.
Separately cook the brown rice and set aside. Here you have two options: place rice in serving bowl and place the jambalaya mixture over the rice or add the rice to the slow cooker and stir everything together.
- serves 8
- calories 300 "ish"
- 7 g fat
- 36 g protein
- 34 g carbs
- 3 g fiber